Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Dream To Change The World



It was the darkest moment of my life. 
Famous Kuta Beach, Bali.

A party was going on in my hotel. Wild hearts seeking each other. It was not disgusting that I chose to leave. It was too sad to be in party.


Then I walked outside along the Kuta Beach. Stars were bright. Fireworks celebrated with carnival people in the heart of Bali. I was alone.

Thinking of my Mom who died a few hours ago in HK, tears and emotion ran wild. Tears shed at poolside, in lounge, on the beach. Ten feet waves kept me from surfing. But I was left drowned in the waves of sadness of the loss of a great loving Mom. 


Looking back, still now I ask God, "Where are you in my darkest day?" That is my September.


The same September, the world experienced its darkest moment. 

A pair of suicide bombers from Taliban killed 81 people outside a church in Pakistan on Sept 23. Just two days ago in Kenya, Islamist gunmen attacked the Westgate Mall and killed more than 70 and wounded hundreds. Before killing, gunmen ordered the Muslims to leave before targeting all others. 


Those were the darkest days the world would face. The darkest for those who have been praying for the Muslims world and that Muslims could come to Christ. 


I have some Muslims friends in Canada. They are very respectful people treasuring some very good human values and their ways of honoring their God would make us shameful. I am among millions who pray for the Muslims to know Christ is their only way to salvation. We pray that Jesus would appear to them in dreams, visions and make their ways easier. But in the same September, one couldn't help but ask, "God, where are you among the Muslims? Did you hear our prayers?" 


But God never silence. 


Bali. I went there to learn surfing. God surprised me with sad, and with good news.


I was sitting at poolside and chatting with my surf coach Ion. Courtesy talks became exchange of emotions when I talked of my dead Mom and he talked of his dead Dad. He opened more himself. Once he knew I was a pastor, a "priest," he said, "I am a Muslim." "Good, I have Muslim friends as well," I said. Then he became serious and puzzled and asked me, "I had a very strange dream. It was years back. I tried to ask my friends about the meaning. They all think I was crazy..." Then he started to tell his dream...

Marcus in Arabic

In his dream, he saw Isa (Jesus in Koran) was carried on a wooden cart by someone. Jesus died and there was blood everywhere over his body. Women walked alongside and were crying. 


When Ion saw him in his dream, he felt very sad for Jesus, touched and cried...(Muslims do not believe Jesus was really crucified. It was somebody else on the cross. This scene was probably Jesus being taken down from the cross --I interpreted.)


Another scene. He was led to a well. Up above the well, there was a very strong and bright Light. He looked down the well and found names of rabbis. All the names in Bible and Koran: Abraham, Isaac, Moses, Joseph...the names that are familiar to Muslims. All the names were drawn spirally downward into deep darkness. He was scared of what happened and asked, "Where is prophet Muhammad and Isa (Jesus)?" 


He could not see their names there in the well. He looked up to the Light above and asked, "Where is prophet Muhammad? Where is Isa?"  The Light answered him, "You just follow Jesus!"


(We know there is no other names, apart from Jesus, we could be saved. That is Acts 4:12. We know who is the Light. To Muslims, Prophet Muhammad is like Moses to the Jews. It took God, the Light, himself to appear to the Jewish disciples to tell them to listen to only Jesus, God's beloved son, not Moses or Elijah. That's the transfiguration story of Jesus.)


But my friend didn't know this. I was so excited while listening to his story. Ion wanted to know what was the meaning. I promised him that I would pray for 3 days and tell him my understanding of the dream. But one thing I surely know, Jesus appeared in his dream and wanted this Muslim to follow him. Him only.  


If you are the ones who earnestly pray for Somalia(99% are Muslims), Pakistan(96%), Morocco(99%), Yemen(99%)..., we should never stop praying and stop believing.  Because God them heard all and is answering. Something strange and wonderful is happening. Jesus appears in dreams and visions of the Muslims and point them to himself. 

God never silence.  "He will not falter or be discouraged till he establishes justice on earth...the islands will put their hope”(Isaiah 42:4).  Even in the darkest days.

It is His dream to bring all peoples like the Muslims to his salvation. It is God's dream to save people from all tribes, all languages, all nations to worship the Lamb.  It is his dream to make the world anew, when heaven is, one day, brought down on earth.    

The World Better If You Live These

Do we believe? Are we participating? Is His dream my dream?


The day I left Bali. A young driver of the hotel drove me to the airport. He was a Hindu. We talked. He talked about lives in Bali, that things are very expensive to the locals. He and his newly-wed wife have to work to meet all the expenses. He talked about they as the Hindu are religious and are poor. I asked him of his monthly salary. He said, "1 million rupiah"(CAD$90). 



When he talked of his baby boy, he was glad and very contented and said, "Now that I have my son..." I was so moved by these words. I am a father. I have 3 sons. Suddenly I made up my mind... when getting off, I gave him some money, large sum in term of his salary.  He was shocked. "It's my gift for your son!"


One week after I was back from Bali, I suddenly received an unexpected email. This Hindu driver got my address from the front desk and emailed me a picture of his family, his wife and his baby boy. He thanked me for the gift and my kindness. This I didn't expect. 


I didn't evangelize him. I didn't talk with him about Jesus - his English is not good. I just felt sorry for the poverty and followed my heart. But I think that day Jesus appeared to him in a unique way - through a Kingdom agent.(Mat 5:16). And I think that day the King appeared to me in a unique way as well - through a little one (Mat 25:40). 


The world is full of hatred and injustice, poverty and indifference. But God never silence.

It is His dream to make the world anew. It is His ruling grace to bring healing, justice, mercy. His will be done in the perfect new world ahead. But here and now Jesus is doing this: to bring healing, justice, mercy, through his followers, his Kingdom agents. And change the world. In its darkest days.


Do we live with dream? Do we embrace God's dream to change the world? 


Dear friends, Give like you have plenty... Dream like you believe in miracles. 


Live life like it's Heaven on Earth... 


And participate in it.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the sharing.
    "The Lord sits enthroned over the flood; the Lord is enthroned as King forever." (Psalm 29:10)
    奇異恩典,何等甘甜;如此恩典,使我敬畏。

    ReplyDelete